Perhaps as a signal of the temporary nature of the place and its people, the name "Alabama" actually means "here we rest." So the state has a place name that does not actually indicate much intention.
Alabama's rate of deaths from gun violence is 17.6 per 100,000. Daily Beast
Politics in AlabamaEdit
- Question: Who has power in Alabama?
- Answer: White, Christian fundamentalist, ideologically conservative males. Consider the evidence:
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, in 2009 only 12.1% of Alabama state legislators were women. Only the South Carolina and Oklahoma state legislatures are farther from gender parity. The national average of 24.3%.
By Spring 2012, the right to abortion in Alabama was effectively legislated out of existence.
By Fall 2014, the rape culture in Alabama's women's prisons was being revealed to the rest of the nation.
In June 2012, Republican political appointees on the Alabama Educational Television Commission purged Alabama PTV veteran journalist Allan Pizzato and his deputy Pauline Howland. This was an apparent political reprisal for rejecting an ultra-conservative documentary.
In 2007, the Limestone County School Board voted 4 to 3 to ban the 2001 novel Whale Talk. The pro-censorship board members were Shannon, Earl Glaze, Bryant Moss, and Darin Russell. Were these four conservative white Alabama politicians offended because the protagonist was multi-racial?
- Parker Griffith Republican
- Dale Peterson. Dale Peterson, Gun-Waving Alabama GOP Candidate, Charged With Shoplifting Again. Christina Wilkie. Huffington Post. March 28, 2013.
- Website: http://www.aladems.org/
- Blog: http://www.aladems.net/
- Blog: http://alabama-democrat.blogspot.com/
- DNC Blog: http://www.democrats.org/a/local/south/alabama/
- USDemocrat Network: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usdemocrat-alabama
- Alabama Democrats on Facebook
- Auburn University College Democrats
- Bessemer Opinions
- Birmingham Blues
- Blue Sparks
- Doc's Political Parlor
- The Haze Filter
- Left in Alabama
- Legal Schnauzer
- Thomason Tracts
- Yellow Hammer Politics
Other External LinksEdit
- The Official State Web Page
- Corporations in Alabama profited from 'slavery in all but name'
- Alabama Indian Tribes
Counties: Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Bullock, Butler, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Choctaw, Clarke, Clay, Cleburne, Coffee, Colbert, Conecuh, Coosa, Covington, Crenshaw, Cullman, Dale, Dallas, DeKalb, Elmore, Escambia, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Geneva, Greene, Hale, Henry, Houston, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar , Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lee, Limestone, Lowndes, Macon, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Mobile, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Russell, Shelby, St. Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, Wilcox, Winston
Groups: Alabama Democratic Party
Baja Arizona |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Oklahoma | Oregon |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |