- U.S. Government submits 1,579 applications to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for authorization to conduct electronic surveillance or physical searches under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), including 1,511 requests for electronic surveillance.
- International Space Station (ISS) scheduled for completion. The ISS was selected as a major space project because Nixon's space shuttle needed a destination in space.
- U.S. rate of incarceration, including federal, state and local prisoners, is 743 per 100,000, or the highest of any country on the planet.
- Afghanistan, Australia, Sri Lanka, Sweden and Tuvalu scheduled to hold parliamentary elections.
- January 30: Iraqi Parilaimentary elections
- March 16 – TKasubi Tombs, Uganda's only cultural World Heritage Site, are destroyed by fire.
- March 26 – The ROKS Cheonan, a South Korean Navy ship carrying 104 personnel, is sunk off the country's west coast, killing 46.
- British Parliamentary elections
- November 2:
- 2010 elections
- November 5: Spontaneous protest march in Oakland against the light sentence given Johannes Mehserle for shooting Oscar Grant results in 152 arrests.